Pinoy Store

Yes, that’s Marty’s Plain Salted Vegetarian Chicharon.  It’s vegetarian so it’s healthy, right? 😛  I was first introduced to this snack on my last trip to Manila.

No, this ain’t available in the supermarkets here BUT I spotted this at where-else?  Mang Peter’s Sari-Sari Store.  Actually, Mang Peter, cleaned up his store a little bit and made it into a mini-grocery.

Mang Peter (Peter Cadelina) hailed from Cebu I think and moved to Vietnam some 33 years ago.  His business includes, the grocery, ticketing/VISA, laundry cleaning, import/export, and food service.  He does catering especially for Filipinos, like kare-kare, palabok, and pansit.  Name the Filipino food, and they’ll cook it for you!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Mang Tomas, UFC ketchup, tuyo (dried salted fish), Argentina / Purefoods corned beef, Reno liver spread (!!!), Nestle cream, Lucky Me pancit canton and pan de sal are just a few of the products Mang Peter brought from home. 😉

Visit Mang Peter’s store at SB12-2 Sky Garden 2, PMH, D7 or call them at (84-8) 54103051.

———–
By the way, just a quick trivia.  The word “mang” is not a name but an equivalent of the Vietnamese term “anh (oi)” when giving respect to an elderly man.

This entry was posted in Exploring Saigon and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Pinoy Store

1. Rick Ionazzo says:

I like his outfit. I think you can get some Pinoy food also at the Wash 4 You shop further down inside Sky garden. Cheers man, I like your blog.

Rick

2. Lyra says:

Hi Rick! Ms. Anna at Wash 4 You shop is now focusing more on RTW. 😦 I actually miss buying my other Pinoy food there.

3. Kathleen says:

Hi! Would you know if there is a store in or around District 1 that sells Nestle Cream (the one in the can)? We live in Binh Thanh district and I love to make fruit salads using Nestle Cream, the way we do in the Philippines. I would love to visit the store in Sky Garden 2 but going there just for Nestle Cream would not be a financially good idea.

By the way, I love your site!

• Lyra says:

Hi Kathleen! Thank you so much for visiting!

I’m not sure but you can try Phuong Ha https://hello-saigon.com/2011/02/18/baking-goodies/. It’s a store selling baking items in District 1 behind Bitexco Financial Tower.

If you like, I can get you some from the Pinoy Store here and meet up at D1 during workdays. 🙂

• Kathleen says:

That’s a very kind offer. 🙂 I think I’ll check out the baking supplies store first. Nakakahiya naman sa iyo. Thanks for all the helpful information!

• Lyra says:

Naku it’s no problem really as I go to work in District 1 sa Bitexco. Let me know. 🙂

4. Kathleen says:

Hi Lyra! I was able to buy Nestle Cream at Phuong Ha yesterday. They were selling the small Nestle Cream cans from Holland but basically the same stuff. 🙂 I saw Select supermarket in Vincom sell them too. However, they only had the honey and banana flavored cream variants. Thank you for introducing me to Phuong Ha in your blogs. I love the store. It doesn’t have air conditioning and gets really hot inside even at 7 P.M. but it’s filled to the brim with stuff! It even has Mang Tomas. Thanks again! 🙂

5. Lyra says:

Uy that’s good news! Check ko rin Mang Tomas baka mas cheaper. 🙂

6. trina wong says:

Hi Lyra, do you have any idea kung meron balikbayan service, unlimited freight from ho chi minh to philippines? how much?

• Lyra says:

Hi Trina. What do you mean unlimited freight? You may try and contact Mang Peter from the info in this blog entry. He does deliveries but I don’t know the extent.

• Ramir says:

Hello Trina,

You may contact kabayan Bong del Rosario with this number: +84 88 6609993. Balikbayan box depends on dimension and destination in the Philippines.

Regards,
      Mir

7. Dave says:

Hello Kabayan,

I hope you are all doing well.

If you are a kabayan living in Vietnam, either Saigon or Hanoi, what would be your best 30 items Pinoy foods(in order 1-30, #1 as most needed) requirement?

Looking forward to hear from everyone. Mabuhay po kayo!

Maraming salamat!
    Dave

8. Want to achieve Whiter, Softer, and Younger-looking Skin?

Make it Possible! Buy Mosbeau Placenta White Advanced Whitening Supplement.
    The No.1 Best Selling Japan Patented
    good for anti -aging/ skin whitenig/ hormonal balance/ immune booster..
    we accept bulk orders… shipment available worldwide
    Friday 17:12
    Want to achieve Whiter, Softer, and Younger-looking Skin?

Make it Possible! Buy Mosbeau Placenta White Advanced Whitening Supplement.
    The No.1 Best Selling Japan Patented
    good for anti -aging/ skin whitening/ hormonal balance/ immune booster..
    we accept bulk orders… shipment available worldwide

9. gen says:

hi Lyra i am looking for a filipino grocery in saigon..meron ka bang alam aside sa store na yan?… naccrave ako sa pancit canton hahahaha at saka argentina cornedbeef …

10. Apple Raca says:

sir/madam,
    I am apple raca from c and h cosmetics makers of all white placenta and skinblend kojic. we will visit in june 19-22 in vietnam.
    we would like to visit your office or set an appointment.

thanks,
    apple raca

11. kc says:

Good Day po mam,, may delivery po ba kayo dito sa TA LUNG,CAO BANG,HANOI,,,kahit kme n magbyad ng shipping fee,,