Final Sprint on Securing a Birth Certificate in Vietnam

I know you guys must be tired of reading my posts on getting a birth certificate in Vietnam so  this is my last post on this topic. 😀

Just a bit of a rant though — I don’t understand why requirements differ from person to person. 😦 My friend wasn’t asked to get the Affidavit of Nationality from the People’s Committee while we had to do it.  Hubby had to absent himself from work because we both had to be there in front of the official to sign the document. 😦

Anyway, all’s well that ends well as we got the document on the right.  As soon as I received this last Thursday, I brought this to the People’s Committee for English translation and notarization. Then on Tuesday, I brought the translated copy to the Department of Foreign Affairs.  Two days after (today), I brought the Vietnamese-certified copy to the Philippine Consulate for authentication. Whew!

Hopefully, I shall be getting the authenticated copy next week just in time for next weekend’s Philippine Consular Mission where we have to submit a Report of Birth and apply for a Philippine Passport.

Computing, I believe we’ve spent over 5MVND for the papers + transportation. Troi oi!  And it doesn’t end here. Sigh.

This entry was posted in Spills and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Final Sprint on Securing a Birth Certificate in Vietnam

  1. BGiang says:

    I’m Giang. For the birth certification you’ve posted, it is the same of my son’s birth certification, especially the note that “late in register for birth certification” . But I wonder that why you have to have a Vietnamese birth certification when you & your hubby are not Vietnamese.

    • Lyra says:

      Hi BGiang. We understand that the birth certificate of our child is in Vietnamese because we’re in Vietnam. We just have this translated in English. That’s good enough for us.

  2. Pingback: Baptism in Saigon? | Hello Saigon!

  3. Pingback: How to Get a Birth Certificate in Vietnam: A Summary | Hello Saigon!

  4. Marcus-mx says:

    Thank you so much for your diligent posts Lyra. I am a British Citizen living in Singapore, my wife is Vietnamese and is able to live in Singapore, our Vietnamese daughter however is not able to, as issue of passport requires issue of birth certificate – the same problem that you had. At present my wife’s province Department of Justice is asking for me to visit my embassy to get some sort of notorized letter about Vietnamese nationality? Do you have any idea what this actually is? I feel slightly adrift in all this, but only want what is best for my daughter

    • Lyra says:

      Hi Marcus! Thanks for your message. You can go to your embassy and ask for an affidavit of nationality. You have to write this on your own or ask if they may have a template at your embassy. Basically this affidavit should show if you prefer your child to have Vietnamese or British nationality. This should be authenticated by your embassy then translated into Vietnamese and notarized at the People’s Committee. Then authenticated at the Department of Foreign Affairs. We also did a sworn statement at the People’s Committee specifying the nationality of our child. My husband and I had to appear at the People’s Committee and sign infront of a People’s Committee officer.

      Hope this helps. I’ll try to find the affidavit I signed and scan it.

      • Marcus-mx says:

        An idea of the template would be much appreciated. Given that I am not actually resident in Vietnam, I will try and clear as much as possible from Singapore – if at all possible… Certainly this all seems to test ones resolve….

  5. E says:

    Hi Lyra:
    My mother was born in 1946 in a small village outside of Hanoi and has never had a birth certificate. She just has her passport. Are there birth records for people born during taht time and in villages?

    • Hi. You have to contact the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) in Hanoi. They’re the keepers of birth records. My son born here in Ho Chi Minh City is registered at the MOJ HCMC.

      Now on the issue if it’s available for records in the 40s, I am not sure but your mother’s passport would be a big help I’m sure.

  6. Jeremias Paz says:

    A friend of mine is Vietnamese, but he lives in US since he is 1yr old, he need a fresh copy of his birth cert to get married, do you know how can I get one?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s