I’ve always been curious with Pilates. This fairly new physical fitness system was developed in Germany by Joseph Pilates. This is actually quite popular in my home country.
According to Wikipedia, “Pilates improves muscle tone, balances musculature, supports correct posture, and teaches to move with ease and grace.”
All of which are what I actually need.😛 The trouble is there was no Pilates class in Phu My Hung (I know of Sawano Pilates in District 2 I think. I met Sawano once volunteering in ArcPets and she’s a lovely person.) — until Lanel Hosomi from the Philippines offered classes.
Lanel was kind enough to answer a few of my questions. Can’t believe she has been living here in Saigon for the past 11 years!
How long have you been practicing Pilates?
I’ve been practicing Pilates for the past 3 years (2 years with an instructor). I’ve been teaching Pilates for a month now. I got my Pilates Mat International Certification Course (beginner and intermediate level) in Bangkok through The Pilates Studio under Body & Flow.
What are the benefits of Pilates?
- Develop a strong core – flat abdominals and a strong back. Pilates exercises develop a strong “core,” or center of the body.
- Gain long, lean muscles and flexibility- Pilates elongates and strengthens, improving muscle elasticity and joint mobility.
- Create an evenly conditioned body, improve sports performance, and prevent injuries
- Learn how to move efficiently. Pilates exercises train several muscle groups at once in smooth, continuous movements.
- A refreshing mind-body workout. By emphasizing proper breathing, correct spinal and pelvic alignment, and concentration on smooth and flowing movement.
Is it safe for moms who just gave birth? When is the best time to take up Pilates? (This is my concern so I had to ask!)
Yes, it is safe for moms who just gave birth. There is a postnatal Pilates (includes normal & C-section exercises) and there is also a prenatal Pilates program designed for that specific needs. The best time to take a Pilates is, anytime. As long as there is a go signal from the physician to exercise, I don’t think there will be a problem.
To whom do you recommend Pilates to?
Young and old, male or female, moms and moms to be.
Lanel has a sweet deal ongoing for 700kVND unlimited Pilates for a month (Tuesday and Thursday classes) and she’s offering a free class on the 20th of August!
For more information you can contact her at email@example.com.