Have Letter of Invitation, can travel.

With the recent news about a 63-year old Filipina who was deported back to the Philippines from Seattle after serious scrutiny by the US Immigration Officers, more news has been coming out of the power tripping Immigration Officers including my homecountry’s. Someone posted her experience of being denied to leave for Vietnam for a friend’s wedding.

In the recent couple of years, the Philippine Immigration has become real strict in allowing Filipinos to visit Vietnam especially those who are without previous travel experience. After the drug issues and those who travel abroad on a tourist visa then mysteriously disappear, you can understand why.

So anyway, for Filipinos travelling to Vietnam, you need:

  • Roundtrip tickets
  • Hotel accommodations or Letter of Invitation if staying with family or friend

Every time we have family and friends over, we make sure that we send a Letter of Invitation which they can show to the Immigration Officers with a copy of my husband’s passport and Temporary Resident Card.

 photo TemporaryResidenceCardVietnam_zpsa11158ad.jpg


What is in the Letter of Invitation? Here’s a sample:

Philippine Immigration
Manila, Philippines

Dear Immigration Officers,

This serves as our invitation to my, <insert relationship>, <insert guest name> for a visit to our home where I, together with my family, are residing at <insert address>.

We shall serve as their host for their entire visit.

Attached herewith is a copy of my resident card and passport for your reference.

Kindly provide them the assistance they need in order to arrive conveniently and safely to Vietnam.

Thank you very much.

Very truly yours,

<Your Name>


Filipinos can get a visa upon arrival to Vietnam for a period of 21 days.

This entry was posted in Exploring Saigon and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Have Letter of Invitation, can travel.

  1. Pingback: Have Letter of Invitation, can travel by @lyraliza « herdailydigest

  2. joy says:

    Hi Lyra! Im about to give birth next month & we have chosen our helper from philippines to come over here to assist me as I am more comfortable with her. Will the letter of invitation needs to be stamped/signed by the consular office?

    • Lyra says:

      Hi Joy. Is it the first time that your helper will be flying? Do you have a temporary resident certificate?

      We’d usually just send a letter and a copy of my husband’s passport and temporary resident certificate.

      However, it gets tricky for first time travelers, so I would say it is best to have your letter of invitations stamped at the consular office. I have heard of a few not being allowed at our Immigration in Manila to get on the plane. Especially for domestic help.

  3. joy says:

    Yes,its her first time to travel abroad & we are really a bit worried about it.We do have a TRC….Thank you so much for your help.We will go to the consular office then.

  4. love says:

    Hi, im planning to go to Vietnam this September on my own for just a week to visit my bf who was assigned to work there but he is not a Vietnamese national. I do have passport, round trip ticket, certificate of employment from my company and my employee id as well just to prove that i will return to the Philippines and that i am financially capable as well. Do i also need to provide letter of invitation coming from him to the immigration? What other stuff do i need to prove myself? Also, do i need to get visa for staying for a week ? How about show-money or bank accounts? 🙂

    • Lyra says:

      Hi. Does your boyfriend have a temporary resident certificate? If not, then I don’t think you need a letter of invitation from here. A Filipino can stay in Vietnam for 21 days as part of being a member of the ASEAN. So no need for Visa. No need for show-money or bank accounts.

  5. love says:

    Not sure if he does have one coz he’s already been staying there for almost 9mnths now for work purposes so i think he does.. and its my first time traveling abroad so im really nervous with the local immigration and Vietnam immigration’s questions and requirements. 😦

  6. Zar says:

    Hi! I just saw this post. I hope you are still there to answer my question. I’m going to visit Vietnam two weeks from now for like abou 10 days. I have a roundtrip ticket, certificate of employment and the company ID to show that I will return to the Philippines. The thing is, it’s gonna be the Chinese New Year so the stablishments there will be closed and I’m afraid the immigration here in the Philippines will question it. Now I have a Vietnamese friend who agreed to give me an invitation letter. I just wanted to know if the inviation is just a scanned copy? Or should it be delivered via mail as an original copy? Thank you.

    • Lyra says:

      Hi! During Tet (Chinese Lunar New Year), there are lots of tourists around to celebrate the occasion. So it’s not like before that there are lots of closed establishments. Anyway, on the Letter of Invitation… where are you staying? If you’re staying in a hotel, best to print the confirmation email. I don’t think you’d be questioned by the immigration as this is one of the best times to visit Vietnam. Also, is this your first time to go out of the country? If not, I don’t think you need a Letter of Invitation.

      • Zar says:

        Thank you for your response. Yes, this is going to be my first time ever to travel out of the country. I’m not sure yet if I’m going to be staying in a hotel or at my friend’s house.

      • Zar says:

        An should I mention that I got invited by a friend, or is it safe just to say that I’m only visiting for the Tet?

      • Lyra says:

        Hi. Is you friend Filipino?

        I suggest you get a Letter of Invitation if it’s your first time then. In our experience, we don’t give to friends but they are seasoned travelers. There have been many instances of Filipinos being off loaded when traveling to Vietnam especially if it’s their first time out of the country. Best to get a letter of invitation. You have to get the original document.

      • Zar says:

        My friend is a Vietnamese. Scanned copy of the Letter not allowed?

      • Lyra says:

        Hi again. So sorry as I can’t help further. Not sure how it goes when you are invited by a local. Have tried several times just sending a scanned document to my mom when visiting but she’s family so it’s easier and she’s well-traveled. Maybe a scanned copy of the letter of invitation, your bank account (verified), RT ticket, and COE will be enough. Good luck!

      • Zar says:

        No. you’ve been a great help. Thank you so much. I’ll research more. I don’t want to waste an expensive ticket. LMAO! Thanks again.

    • Zar says:

      Thank you so much.

      • Lyra says:

        A friend who recently had an experience of a relative being off loaded said that it would be best that you show your Letter of Invitation only when asked. It may become more suspicious if you show them that. Only show your passport as a normal tourist would do and only when asked by immigration do you show other documents.

    • Zar says:

      Got it. Thank you so much Lyra.

  7. cha says:

    hello! i wanted to invite my mother and daughter to visit me here in vietnam. I work here 6 months now. I have a contract,which is also registered in POEA: But, I dont have a residence card or TRC: But yes I do rent a house here in Vietnam. What would be the requirements to show to the immigration? Ill only invite them for a week or two. During semestral break and mom doesnt work this time

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s