It’s been hectic especially now that we’re moving towards the Christmas holiday. But have to take time to mark today as this blog turns 7.
In 7 years, how has Saigon changed through my eyes?
- Influx of Western fast food (Hello Popeye’s, Texas Chicken, Carl’s Jr., Starbucks, Yellow Cab, Dominos!)
- Christmas decors that used to be hard to find (Hello Cholon!) can be found at malls now.
- Traffic is getting way worse with motorbikes competing with lots of cars — partially due to Uber and Grab.
- I used to pay 10,000 VND riding the shuttle bus from my district to CBD, now I pay 18,000 VND.
- Nguyen Hue has been hugely transformed. Can’t wait for the subway!
- A lot of my favorite small shops along Dong Khoi have folded up to give way to bigger businesses. 😦
- Notre Dame Cathedral is under construction till 2019.
- Bigger malls.
- L’usine just opened its 3rd shop.
- My neighbours are practically non-Vietnamese now — Koreans, Indians, and Japanese.
Do I still find the city exciting? Interesting? It still is.
Ultimately, am still a passerby in this city. And for the opportunity to live here, am filled with so much gratitude.